With this year’s summer running season in full swing, the museum has made great progress over the winter and spring preparing one of its new exhibits, a working model railway display room. As planned, the display room is situated inside one of the museum’s unused coach bodies, which in recent years has been used for storage.
The main layout in the new display room is an O gauge depiction of Brockford station on the MSLR back in its early years, circa 1910. With Brockford station today being the location of the Museum, this layout is excellent means of showing visitors how the site has changed in the last hundred years, giving them a great comparison to what was there then, and what is here now. The layout was donated to the Museum by a friend of the Middy and well known model maker, Peter J. Wilde.
The O gauge rolling stock are models of the original Mid-Suffolk Light Railway Company vehicles, and some from the neighbouring Great Eastern Railway, which would have worked on the line in it’s early years. These include a set of three 4 wheel 5 compartment coaches, depicting the original Middy passenger train, two Great Eastern designed horseboxes, one in GER livery and the other in that of the MSLR, together with a model of one of the three original MSLR Hudswell, Clarke 0-6-0 tank engines.
With the layout now fully set up and ready to run, and the finishing touches to the coach body, including curtains and a visitor access ramp complete, our new model railway display room will be up and running for the museum’s open days this summer, which are every Sunday and Bank Holiday 28th May – 28th August and our Steam Railway Gala on the 9th and 10th of September.