This diesel mechanical shunter was purchased by the railway in order to help with the safe movement of stock around the site. It was built in 1951 for the West Midlands Gas Board. After 28 years with the WMGB and Unigate Foods and now fitted with a Gardner engine, it was bought by the Ruston Locomotive Owners Group in 1986. In 1997 it was loaned to the MSLR and in 2002 a number of volunteers and MSLR company were able to buy it from the Owners Group for shunting and shed pilot work at Brockford.
While at the ‘Middy’ the locomotive has been subject to a series of running repairs and has also been fitted with vacuum brakes to enable it to work passenger trains.
Ruston & Hornsby 48DS 0-4-0
This ‘baby’ Ruston, previously owned by Sir William McAlpine, was purchased by two of the Middy’s volunteers in 2017 and weighs 7.5 tons and is only 11ft long
It is an example of the only diesel locomotive that ever ran on the MSLR; the contractors lifting the track after closure used one in their work of destruction. It is therefore fitting that we expect this Ruston, no. 294266, will be used in relaying the extension.
Type 17 Wickham railmotor
Our Wickham-built engineers railmotor would have been used to transport platelayers (the men who looked after the tracks) to where they needed to work. It was obviously quicker than walking and meant their employers got more work out of them in a day as they spent less time getting to and from different places on the railway.
Ours has been restored as an LNER example, complete with trailer for carrying extra workers and tools. It cannot carry passengers but can be seen on certain open days giving demonstrations.