May 27, 2020
In the latest published census, taken in 1911, we have identified at least 57 men & women who worked for the MSLR at that time, each with their age, address and occupation.
May 27, 2020
In the latest published census, taken in 1911, we have identified at least 57 men & women who worked for the MSLR at that time, each with their age, address and occupation.
Although we know the names of many of the people who worked for the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway and its successors (the London & North Eastern Railway and British Railways), it can be difficult to get a full picture of the workforce at any given point in time. We have attempted to systematically identify everyone working for the Middy at a specific date, using the census taken on 2nd April 1911, which at the time of writing is the most recent census to have been published. Identifying the relevant entries in the census is not as easy as one might hope:
For convenience we have grouped the MSLR staff alphabetically within each department. The lists below give the name, age, occupation and address of each person as recorded on the census form. We have also provided separate lists of those railwaymen living in the Haughley and Cotton areas where it is unclear whether they worked for the MSLR or GER. Where known we have indicated family relationships and shown when employees were boarding with other railway staff.
We have identified 57 individuals (51 men and six woman) employed by the MSLR in April 1911, which must be almost a complete list assuming that the payroll was similar to the 60 or so reported for 1908. One might note the comparative youthfulness of many of the staff, particularly the twenty employed on station and clerical duties, where the average age was 21 and only seven were older than 19.
We do not have many pictures from this period: those we do have tend to focus more on the trains than on the people, and the railway staff are often not named. The accompanying photos are mostly from slightly later, but the job titles given in the captions are those from 1911. All photos are from the Geoff Rice Collection except where otherwise shown.