Newly restored 1934 Fowler Diesel Mechanical 40hp 0-4-0 will be resident at the Middy from mid June.
The loco was built for the Shredded Wheat Company 85 years ago and was recently rescued in a very dilapidated state by current owner Tony Goff. In November 2018 it was delivered to the Norfolk works of brothers Neal and Nigel Davis, who are both members and volunteers at the Middy and who have also worked on maintaining The Middy’s two Ruston & Hornsby locos.
It has taken just 6 months to turn a rusting hulk into literally ‘a going concern’, a really remarkable feat of engineering.
The Fowler has been fitted with vacuum braking equipment and will be able to be rostered on passenger duties, but as Neal noted, “The gearing is very low so visitors will have plenty of time to admire the MSLR scenery!”
- VE Day and War Years to VJ Day? (March 26, 2020)
- Middy cancellation and postponement plans (March 22, 2020)
- Easter Steam-Up first Coronavirus cancellation at the Middy (March 19, 2020)
- Everything Goes 24th & 25th May (February 14, 2020)
- Easter Steam Up 12th & 13th April – Cancelled (February 14, 2020)