Newly restored 1934 Fowler Diesel Mechanical 40hp 0-4-0 will be resident at the Middy from mid June.
The loco was built for the Shredded Wheat Company 85 years ago and was recently rescued in a very dilapidated state by current owner Tony Goff. In November 2018 it was delivered to the Norfolk works of brothers Neal and Nigel Davis, who are both members and volunteers at the Middy and who have also worked on maintaining The Middy’s two Ruston & Hornsby locos.
It has taken just 6 months to turn a rusting hulk into literally ‘a going concern’, a really remarkable feat of engineering.
The Fowler has been fitted with vacuum braking equipment and will be able to be rostered on passenger duties, but as Neal noted, “The gearing is very low so visitors will have plenty of time to admire the MSLR scenery!”
- Important Addition to Middy Museum Collection. (July 1, 2020)
- New Permanent Way Storage Van (June 30, 2020)
- Middy to remain closed until further notice (June 30, 2020)
- 1604 Progress (June 30, 2020)
- Middy Shop has exclusive rights to sell MSLR ‘Bible’ (June 23, 2020)